9.23.2010

Lightning photographer has taken me now to Orrick Missouri. The past couple of weeks the skies have been lit up with a ton of lightning and for me opportunities. This time I branched out of the Jewell bubble and did some traveling and it turned out to be an entertaining evening. 
This shoot started with me chasing a storm that had just passed over Liberty and was tracking south. What I didn't realize that the storm was dying and reforming along the Missouri river bed. As I traveled south and then east (don't have a clue what road I was on) I happened to drive by the power plant as a bolt dropped in  the background. I quickly hopped out of the car and captured a few images hopping that another nearby storm would hold off. Fortunately I didn't have to wait long before capturing a series of lightning strikes a few miles in the background. 

The railroad image is one that I wish I could have stuck around longer for. This was a right place at the right time moment. I had driven through Orrick and found myself on a set of railroad tracks looking over an endless sea of corn fields with three storms all paralleling me. I shot for about ten minutes and then a train came through. With a twenty second expose I shot about 20 feet away and on the final shot you can see a small trail of the train and the barricades coming down. Very fun night! Let me know what you think of the images. 

No comments:

Post a Comment