9.01.2010

#5


A screen away from a perfect shot. Ok before photographers pass judgement on how good or bad this image is, hear is some backstory on this image.

I've been dreaming about getting a good lightning shot of Jewell Hall for year's now. The problem is, I don't want to get struck by lightning and there is no place to shoot and hide my camera and I. Well, I finally figure out a way to satisfy both problems or so I thought. Last year I stumbled onto a great angle of Jewell Hall on the second floor of our library. It gives you a great  view of the building with minimal tree foliage. Over the summer my problem has been that the library closed at 5pm. Now that students are back, the library was open later and a great storm was approaching, I thought nothing could go wrong. Nothing at all, until I tried to open the window and our facilities folks HAD DRILLED IT SHUT!

I spent 40 minutes in a frantic state trying to get one window open. It wasn't happening tonight, until, I check the women's restroom window. I kid you not. The one window they hadn't closed and the one spot and I could barely get my camera up into was in the women's restroom. I started shooting immediately and no more than 30 seconds of shoot I popped off a shot with a huge lightning strike. So large that it blew out most of the photo. Then, after about 20 minutes of almost no lightning, I just happen to hit the shutter and the shot above happened. I was elated until found out what I was fearing. The angle that I had to shoot at couldn't kill the screen in front of me. O well. I still think it was worth the hassle and I may be able to salvage it later. This will be one of my few Photoshop projects, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment